Halloween costume meltdown.

The Cat costume.

For Halloween my daughter insisted on a new costume. Not wanting to pay for it she insisted on shopping together. And thats when the generation gap became blatantly clear. While I opted for cute and slightly more modest costumes she sprang for the least amount of clothing possible. Though I couldn't wrap my head around it I tried to reason.
We hopelessly searched for an in between costume that would satisfy both of us. While I suggested modest nurses and witches and greek goddesses she refused. She wanted tiny mini skirted police officers, a daisy duke clad farmer, and a skimpy nurses uniform.
At first I tried to say no but she kept insisting. I offered to let her get it if she got colored tights to wear underneath. She wanted a garter belt. It was hopeless.
Why hadn’t a parent written a book on how to deal with teenage girls Halloween costume meltdowns. It was no longer about not wanting my kid out there wearing practically nothing, it was something else. I didn’t want to say no to her, I wanted her to say no to herself. To see why she shouldn’t wear a mini skirt. It does take confidence to wear basically nothing but she wasn't doing it because she was confident, it was because she was unconfident with herself.
“Ok stop!” I reeled her away from the dressing room.
“God mom! Don’t make a scene!” She hissed.
“We are well past that thanks to you!” I sighed. The question had been burning deep inside my throat but now I just had to ask her why she wanted a skimpy costume. A look of pure horror crossed her face, had I really dared to ask that?
Reluctantly she snapped, “Because everyone else is going to wear them and I’ll be the freak thats not showing any skin!”
Before I could stop it a snicker escaped my lips. “Mom! I knew you wouldn't understand!”
“Oh no I understand,” I pulled a skin tight cat costume from the rack. “Here, we’re getting this one.”
“Like omg! Mom really?” She eyed the skin tight skirt and the matching bell collar and ears.
“Yes, and you’ll wear it with pride. But...”
“Oh great, “ She scoffed, “What?”
“Just be mindful of the message you are sending to everyone at the party.”
“Whats that supposed to mean?” She was growing impatient with me. It was the kind of impatience all parents love to receive from their kids.
“I’ll just give you a disclaimer, by wearing this, I and your father can not be held responsible for you if someone molests or rapes you.” I started for the cash register.
“Mom like wtf!” She rushed to catch up with me.

Share:

0 comments