Unwanted journey



The sound of my suitcase hitting the side of the road echoed through me like an alarm. Suddenly my previous outburst seemed real for the first time. I had walked out on my best friend. My first love and probably my last.
There was no way I'd be let back in for at least a year while she calmed down. I had to beg hysterically for her to let me stay there in the first place.
But... would she really miss me? Would I really be a big gaping hole in her heart the way I like to believe I'd be?
Maybe this time away wouldn't be a terrible thing. This was the opportunity I needed to separate from Milk. The push I needed had arrived to kick me out of my old life. The life where only she matters.
This could be the start of one those coming of age stories! It could be fun to wander this great nation and meet new people. You know, really find myself and all that jazz. I needed this time away from her.
I sat down on my lonely suitcase. The foster homes really drills a one suitcase habit into you. It would just be the two of us for a while. Suitcase and wary traveler side by side across America!
"Well I almost believed myself...." I sighed and stuck out my lonely thumb. I didn't want to find myself out in the vast lonely country. I knew myself. I just wanted to be with the person I love. I wanted to flee back to the house and see Milk but I knew I couldn't.  
I pushed my sunglasses further up the bridge of my nose and snuggled further into my hat. The lukewarm air blew my hair and dress around me. I knew then that the next time I saw Milk things would be different.

Share:

0 comments