A Princess and A Pea Chapter 3- Let there be a wedding

I climbed back into the Palace through the old garden. None of the guards really waste time on that side of the palace since you know, no one ever hangs out there. It was only noon by the time I got back and I mentally berated myself for not wasting more time.
      “Prince Tristan…. Her Royal Highness would like to speak with you.” I could hear the relief in the young maids voice. She must have been tasked with finding me.
      “Oh ya… sure thing!” I smiled at her as I headed for the door. To bad I had no intention of actually seeing my mother. I opened the door to my mother’s angry Ladies Maid, Kira.
“Not so fast Tristan!” Her thick accent rolled the R in my name making me cringe. This woman had dedicated her entire life to being one step ahead of me.
My protest where lost on her deaf ears and I found myself standing in front of my mother. It looked like her seamstress had been drunk and sewn four different birds and a bear together to create her new dress. She was always for trying new dresses in hopes of ushering in a more flamboyant era of fashion. Sometimes I believe the seamstresses just gather around and see how many insane dresses they could put her in before she finally says no.
“Tristan the time has come for something wonderful.” Her voice was the definition of high and mighty. Her ego could barely be contained in the throne room. Nothing else gave me more pleasure then bruising her beloved ego.
“Are you finally going to build me the wonderful toy shop I’ve been begging for so I can compete with Santy Clause?” I smiled straight at her hazel brown eyes.
“What your mother is trying to say is, your getting old. Get married so I can retire.” My father sighed. He knew this would not end in her favor.
“What your father is trying to say is, we have officially submitted your bids. Now you can meet all the Princesses of the surrounding kingdoms!” She stood and threw a handful of letters at me.
“Isn’t this grand! You will be married by the start of spring!” She was practically prancing around at the thought.
“No!” I yelled laughing. “I will not be getting married.” I picked up a few letters and stared tearing them to shreds.
“Excuse you! What did you just say!” My mother was trying to keep a smile on her face.
“Why should I marry someone I don’t love.” I looked her straight in the eye.
She laughed like there was no tomorrow. “You poor child, you think marriage is about love. Oh heavens no, its to secure our kingdoms position.” She held no remorse or guilt for her outburst. Her eyes turned to my father.
“No.” I said firmly. I would not be stuck with someone for the rest of my life. I could not live with myself if I were to cheat on her out of anxiety with my life.
“Nonesense you will be married!” My mother clapped her hands as if to end the conversation.
“No I will not!” I said calmly.
“I dare you to say that again…” My mother was practically growling. She had bridged the gap between us, we were nose to nose.
“I. Said. No.” I made sure every word was clean and crisp.
I could hear my father sigh in the back ground. My mother held her hand up and closed her eyes. She was silent but I could tell from her ridiculous dress that she was shaking with anger.
When her eyes flew open she stared wailing, “Manny!” She never did understand my sense of humor.
“I really wish you would stop calling me that…” I was so special as a kid that my mother got me a male nanny. She didn’t want me to grow attached and consider my nanny to be my mother so she got me a male one. It was a futile attempt to make sure I respected her. To this day she still treats her Nanny with more respect than she will ever show her own parents.
“Manny do something about that son of mine! I’ve got a headache now, take him away.” She just about spat the word away. She really knew how to make me feel loved.
“You couldn’t keep your mouth shut?” Manny whacked the back of my head on the way out of the throne room.
“Hey watch it Manny! I’ll be running this place one day!” I laughed and dodged his attempt to whack my head again. I waltzed around the grand foyer while contemplating my next move.
“Not if you don’t get married!” He punched my lower back. I almost knocked over a priceless flower urn. “And stop calling me Manny!”
“Sure thing...” I called back to him as I headed down the hall away. “Manny…” It was practically a whisper but I still found his foot making contact with my butt.

“Shut up Tristan!”

Share:

0 comments