Princess And A Pea Chpt 5- Pack Lightly

That night I enjoyed my feather bed to the fullest. The queen thought Tristan’s idea was wonderful, I was to go with him the next morning. Instead of letting a feeling of impending doom wash over me I slept soundly. This would be my last night of peace.
      The next morning I was hustled out of my room by Castor. He gently tried to cram a lifetime of caring for Tristan into my head as I ate bread with warm tea. It was finally hitting him that Tristan would be traveling for the first time without him.
      “Castor calm down, Tristan will be fine. In any case you’ll be joining us after we meet the third princess.” I patted his arm. He stopped and took a deep breath. We stared at each other for a while.
      “You may be right Miss. Celia, but Tristan is… Tristan is… special...” He trailed off laughing realizing what an understatement that was.
      “Yes…. Special.” I smiled as much as I could and crammed bread into my mouth to avoid talking about just how special he was. Castor patted my head and took out a small leather notebook to write in.
      A few hours later I waited with a small group of elderly maids and the carriage drivers. They were to accompany us and under strict orders from a lady named Kira to keep an eye on Tristan and how to anticipate his stupid stunts. She patted me on the back and told me I was brave for volunteering to accompany their troubled prince. She must have missed the part about how it was Tristan who had volunteered me so that she and Castor wouldn’t have to accompany him.
      As the clock continued to tick on I became really jittery. For the first time in my life I was going to get to travel for real. I had made it to Tristan’s kingdom by pure dumb luck because we only had a forest to separate us. But now, now I was really going to get to see the world….. or at least a few kingdoms.
      “Celia! Hey Celia! Make yourself useful and help me carry my bags!” I allowed myself one earth shattering groan. You can’t start a day with Tristan without one really good groan.
      Tristan seemed to miss the ‘pack only what you need’ instructions from Castor. He trudged towards our small caravan hauling a trunk with him as well as two normal sized travel bags. Ok, granted anyone compared to me looked like an over packer, considering my possessions included a pocket mirror and a small grey rabbit. But this, this was overkill.
      “Tristan! Why on earth do you need a whole trunk?” I yanked one of the bags away from him.
      “It’s not a whole trunk, its only a baby trunk.” He shrugged off my disapproval and nestled the baby trunk into the back of the second carriage. After throwing his bag into the back of the carriage, curiosity got the better of me. I opened up his bag just to see what needed its own bag.
      There, inside his bag was a hodgepodge of a million different toy parts. Little wheels rubbed elbows with the wings of missing planes. Puppet stings strangled the life out of abandoned doll limbs. Horses were caught in action without their saddles. I had to try so hard to keep from shoving the toy horse down his throat.
      “Tristan! Prey tell is this?” I grasped the handle of the bag to keep him from grabbing it.
      “Mind your own business Celia!” He snapped. I swallowed my disapproval and headed to the maids carriage with my head held high.
      “Lia wait!” Castor’s voice was a splendid break from Tristan’s cold attitude.
      In preparation for the day it would finally happen, Castor had kept a journal documenting how to handle Tristan. He had decided to entrust the book to me for our long journey together.
      With the small leather book in hand I started to feel more at ease. The next few months would not be that bad. With that in mind I headed back to the maids carriage.
      “Lia! You’re so stupid, where are you going? You’re supposed to ride up here with me.” Tristans word where somehow not enough to make me turn around right then and there and walk back to my own kingdom.
      I nestled into the carriage compartment across from Tristan and pulled out the master list. Upon his persistent nagging, I informed Tristan that our first stop would be Princess Talia. He scoffed, but I was excited. I always dreamed of meeting Princess Talia.

Share:

0 comments